Who Moved My Library?

Commentary on the changing world of libraries, from the viewpoint of a corporate library.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

RSS Feeds Part 2

I feel like the kid who's starting at a new school mid-year - I'm just now catching up with the rest of the class.

I've been using feeds for blogs for a day now and have already found improvements to my strategy. I downloaded FeedReader and while I liked the software the limitations were that you could only use it on the machine that you downloaded it to. Students will agree that portability is very important (I can't be the only one doing homework on the fly).

Today I've discovered Bloglines. You can register for free and load any kind of XML feed into "My Feeds." You can set up folders for different kinds of feeds you're reading (I have "news, entertainment news, fun stuff, library things" folders, among others) to categorize your interests. You can even make your feeds public. Here's a link to my feeds.

The beauty of Bloglines is that you can login to read your feeds from ANY computer anywhere. If you're like me and reading more and more blogs lately you should try it. You'll like it!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Angel, librarian and educator said…

    Well, welcome to the biblioblogosphere. I am one who uses Bloglines as well, in large measure because it is web based and thus I can use it anywhere I can get to a computer. I can log onto it at work (mostly for the professional related feeds I have) and then at home (to read the everything else). Found your blog through Tame the Web. Best.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Pamela said…

    I'm so glad you pointed out that Bloglines can be used from anywhere. I've been using it for a few weeks and had completely failed to notice that. I also wanted to try the FeedReader software but was completely flummoxed as to what exactly you're supposed to download. I'll stick to Bloglines.

    I like what you've done with your blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home